Monday, February 27, 2006

Weekend Behind/Week Ahead

I got through the weekend in relatively good shape considering. My parents arrived late morning on Saturday for their first visit to the new house. We ate too much and my mom toured the house repeatedly as my dad explored the cable channels. I got in 30 miles of good tough roller riding Saturday evening, and managed to burn off, according to the PowerTap, about 1500 of the calories I'd stuffed in my face over lunch. At the beginning of my third of four 12 minute threshold intervals on Friday night, my rear roller bearing popped out. I spent the rest of the workout time putting it back in and adding washers to take up space on the axle so it wouldn't happen again. I added those two intervals I'd missed to my Saturday evening ride, and then did the 4x4min muscle tension intervals I'd planned. Those felt good. Concentrate on form, drop the cadence to around 65, and lay down some serious wattage. The heart rate stays moderate with the low cadence, but the quads begin to scream for mercy. I emphasized ankle flex to give the calves some good stress too. Sunday, the schedule called for 4x15min threshold intervals, but it quickly became clear that my legs wouldn't be up to turning the wattage I did the day before. I got most of the way through the third interval before my thoughts turned to food and the fact I really hadn't eaten anything for almost six hours. Oops. The wattage kept dropping, and I decided to cut out early, stretch quickly, and run downstairs for dinner.

Below you'll find this week's riding plan. I've decided to post them here as they come up for added motivation. Even if no one is reading, if I think you might be, maybe I'll feel more responsible for keeping up with my plan.

M: 1:30 sub-LT tempo ride (with one 15 min LT interval left over from last night)
T: off
W: 1:30 3x4min power intervals, 4min rest between
T: 1:30 3x8min LT intervals, 5min rest between
F: off
S: 2:00 4x4min MT intervals, 4min rest between
S: 2:00 4x12min LT intervals, 10min rest between

I'm stressing work around P(LT) in an effort to boost it as quickly as possible before the group training rides start later in March. I'm avoiding really intense efforts this early in the season, but I am throwing in a few "power" intervals which will be performed in the VO2max-building range above P(LT). I've been watching my intervals closely, and the average wattage for the same perceived effort is rising with almost every ride.

On one hand, I want it to warm up quickly so I can get out on the road, but on the other hand, the roller riding is going well enough that I'm almost wishing it were the beginning of February so I'd have three more weeks of indoor training by myself before having the reality check of group rides.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home