Monday, April 23, 2007

Whiplash

One week ago today, I got into work late because I had to shovel snow and string up a downed cable line in freezing temperatures. Today, it's 82 degrees outside. Welcome to Syracuse. If you don't like the weather in Syracuse, wait 15 minutes, and it'll change.

What's really freaky is standing out in 82 degree heat and seeing a pile of snow on the other side of the parking lot.

I had a good, hard ride with the club yesterday and reminded myself about eating properly on a ride when I bonked just as I was getting home. I stumbled through a shower, chomped down a tuna sandwich and drank some recovery fluid, then passed out on the couch for a nearly two-hour nap. When I came to, the blood sugar was coming back up nicely and my systems were rebooting. You might think that I'd know better.

Note to self: a 60-mile ride with several hard, sustained efforts, especially when one has only about 270 miles in the legs for the season, requires consuming more than a single packet of energy goo.

3 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger solobreak said...

Post ride naps are the best. Are you going to Jiminy this year?

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Tim Bingham said...

No, no Jiminy for me this year. I'm no where near good enough shape to justify the trip out. Hollenbeck is likely to be my first race of my "just for fun because results won't come" season. Good luck at Jiminy!

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger solobreak said...

Hollenbeck is a great race. What a classic course! And only $13! Terry has a full squad going this year, so I don't think I'm going to fit into their travel plans. There is also a small race right out here in front of where I work that day, so maybe I'll do that, or just lounge after Jiminy. We are going to have a crit in Nashua the morning the Montreal-Boston race comes into town. Might make good road trip for you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home